The Albion Tavern
The Albion Tavern 1835 (at least) to 3rd April 2016. It started in just the righthand side of the pair of semi-detached dwellings. The extension with the sloping roof was added later, perhaps in 1885.
Existed by 1835, William Ballard listed as a ‘retailer of beer’. Such establishments were often literally the front room of a house and called ‘beer houses’.
William Ballard died aged 77 in 1840, his wife Catherine recorded as a Publican in 1841.
1854, now called The Albion Tavern taking its name from the adjacent terrace of houses ‘Albion Row’, that also gave its name to the street (by 1865). The tavern was owned by Thomas Burbury. It is thought that at this time it was still contained in just one half of a pair of 3-storey semi-detached buildings.
1861, the licensee is John Gilman.
1866-1874 – the landlord was Phillip Watson
1884 John Jacob Brewer and his wife Charlotte take over.
1885 Planning application submitted for alterations to the Tavern, thought to include the building of the side extension with the sloping roof.
January 1890, an inquest into the death of a railway worker was held at the Tavern; Kenilworth had no courtroom and so the nearest pub to the death was often used for inquests.
1891, John Jacob Brewer, licensed victualler, aged 36. He died in 1896, his wife Charlotte took over the license.
1897 Charlotte Brewer found guilty of watering down whiskey.
1902 The Albion Tavern becomes the base for the Kenilworth Town Band where it has its rehearsals and annual dinners.
1902 In August, Charlotte Brewer plans “an elborate display of fairy lamps” to celebrate the Coronation of King Edward but does not use them due to the death of her son.
1909 A Henry Street resident stops off for a couple of pints at the Albion Tavern on his way home after committing a murder (full story to be revealed later!)
1911, August, Struck by lightning, a chimney is badly damaged.
January 1918, Charlotte Brewer dies aged 60 in her bedroom, several weeks after a serious operation. She had been at the Tavern for 34 years, and left two unmarried daughters Alice and Ethel; her only son died aged 16.
1919 Miss Brewer is licensee.
1922 Mr Batter is licensee (in 1921, Thomas Batter married a Miss Brewer)
1926 Herbert Page is licensee.
1927 The licensee is H Page.
1933 Is listed as ‘The Albion Public House’ in Directories until 1953 when Frederick William Dodd is licensee.
c1968-1970 The terraces of cottages either side of the Tavern, doubtless the source of many of its ‘regulars’, are demolished.
1961 – 1971 The Albion Tavern is listed but with no licensee.
1971 The Albion Tavern, number 73 Albion Street, has no neighbours; there is a gap one side to number 31 and the other to number 86.
Unknown: The Tavern was extended into the left hand part of the building which was on a slightly lower level.
The Albion Tavern whilst Charlotte Brewer was the licensee. At this time the pub was in only the right hand side of the building and the sloping-roof extension.
Photo courtesy of Graham Gould, ‘Kenilworth in Camera’
If you have any details to add, please contact me through the email address on the ‘Home’ page.
15th June 2016, 11.30 a.m.
Friday, 17th June 2016
With only the bar area left to be demolished, on Saturday 18th June several ‘regulars’ found their way into the bar with a bottle or two and drank a final toast to the “Albion Tavern”. It was gone by the afternoon of Monday 20th.
Albion Tavern site, 11th October 2016
Albion Tavern site, 28th December 2016