2022 (b) – the Children’s Play Area
The swimming pool development required a new sub-station which for safety reasons had to be away from the main site. The place chosen for this was north of the pool adjacent to the children’s zip-wire.
Discoveries here were perhaps not expected but a curved wall and an older floor resulted in attempts to have the sub-station to be re-sited. The photographs are mine, October 2022.
A curved wall can be seen on the left close to the surface. Centrally can be seen what appears to be a stone floor; the soil layer just above it is composed of building rubble, orange fragments of roof tile can be seen
An alternative angle showing the curved wall has little or no foundations, and a clearer view of the stone floor.
The extent of the floor can be seen; it is medieval and resulted in likelihood of the sub-station being re-sited. The tarmac is part of the zip-wire apparatus.
Two further photographs (April 2023) after further excavation revealing details of a wall:
The 1925 OS map shows what appears to be the circular wall discovered in the excavation; it also appears in the 1947 photograph, right. It was probably either built to enclose shrubbery, or, more likely, as part of a play equipment installation.